Home Registration » FEBS Bursaries
FEBS bursaries are awards funded by FEBS to help early-career researchers from outside the host country participate in a FEBS Congress when submitting an abstract to the event, as set out in more detail below. For the 47th FEBS Congress (FEBS 2023) in Tours, FEBS bursaries will cover the early registration fee for such scientists, and make a contribution of €400 towards travel/accommodation (up to €680 in total; see further notes at the end of this page).
Please check the eligibility criteria below carefully. A 'FEBS country' is a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society (Europe and some bordering countries). FEBS bursaries are not available to scientists resident in the country in which the Congress is taking place.
FEBS bursary applications deadline: March 9, 2023
2023 FEBS bursary applicants must:
- Be submitting an abstract to the Congress as first author
- Be a registered PhD student or within 5 years of having received a PhD
- Be a PhD student at an institution of higher learning in a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society, or be working as a postdoctoral scientist in such a country*
- Be a member of a FEBS Constituent Society*
- Be travelling to the Congress from outside France
- Not have received a FEBS YTF grant to attend a FEBS Advanced Course in 2023 or a FEBS YSF 2023 grant
Please note that the number of meeting travel awards you have previously received from FEBS may also be taken into consideration in your selection.
*The Russian Biochemical Society and Belarusian Society of Biochemists and Molecular Biologists are temporarily suspended from FEBS, so members of these Societies are not currently able to apply for FEBS bursaries.
How to apply
Applications for FEBS bursaries for the 47th FEBS Congress must be made through the Congress registration system before the bursary deadline of March 9, 2023.
To ensure your application is pulled into the data that goes forward to the selection, please make sure you follow all steps below correctly.
(1) Select the Young Scientist participant type (or, if applicable, 'Young Scientist – FEBS Sprinzl' category)
(2) Click yes to the question in the first section of the registration form about applying for a Congress bursary.
(3) Upload the following documents as a single pdf file, presented in the following order:
- Proof of Status: PhD student or postdoctoral scientist within 5 years of receiving a PhD
- Proof of current FEBS Constituent Society membership (scanned copy of current membership certificate/letter, dated within the past year, from your FEBS Constituent Society)
- Curriculum Vitae, prepared using the FEBS 2023 Congress CV template
(4) Submit your abstract as first author, according to the guidelines on the Call for Abstracts webpage.
(5) Complete your registration order including payment of the registration fee by March 9, 2023.
If you are paying by bank transfer, please ensure you forward receipt of the transaction to the Congress Secretariat by 9 March 2023 (see Payment Methods here).
Assessment and notification
Abstracts submitted by FEBS bursary applicants will be considered for scientific quality during the event’s abstract screening and appraisal (see the Call for Abstracts page); in addition, CVs of eligible bursary applicants will be considered by the Organizing Committee.
The outcomes of FEBS bursary applications are expected to be notified via e-mail on April 11, 2023.
FEBS is supplying funding for over 200 bursaries for the 47th FEBS Congress. Unsuccessful eligible bursary candidates who are unable to attend the Congress without this bursary support can request refund of the registration fee from the Congress Secretariat if necessary, according to the Congress’s cancellation policy. A further option relevant to unsuccessful bursary applicants who applied from the FEBS Sprinzl scheme can be found here.
The FEBS bursary award value and reimbursement
The FEBS bursary will cover the early registration fee for the participant categories ‘Young Scientist’ (€280) or, where applicable, ‘Young Scientist – FEBS Sprinzl’ (€140). In addition, the FEBS bursary will make a contribution of €400 towards travel and accommodation.
Delegates awarded FEBS bursaries will be reimbursed after the Congress by bank transfer from FEBS; more details from FEBS Treasury will be available via your participant account on the Congress website following the notification from the Congress Organizers that you have been selected.