Home YSF » YSF Applications
Key dates for the 22nd FEBS YSF (YSF 2023)
YSF/Congress registration and abstract submission opening: early November 2022
YSF application deadline: December 8, 2022. Closing time: 23:59 (UTC+01:00)
Notifications of YSF award winners: February 10, 2023
22nd FEBS YSF: July 6−8, 2023
47th FEBS Congress: July 8−12, 2023
For applicants from FEBS countries
A 'FEBS country' is a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society (Europe and some bordering countries).
Support from FEBS for YSF participants
FEBS will provide financial support for participation in the YSF and the ensuing Congress to those selected from FEBS countries to take part in the YSF, via YSF grants. YSF grants in 2023 can only be used to support participation in the 22nd FEBS YSF and 47th FEBS Congress, and those selected must attend both the YSF and the Congress. Grants will cover registration and accommodation in shared rooms (for both events) and up to 80% of the travel costs to Tours, France. Awards will only be made to support travel from the applicant’s current country of residence in the FEBS area to and from Tours. The amount awarded will be based on the distance travelled and the most affordable options. The grant payment will be processed after the event by the FEBS Treasury.
Eligibility criteria for YSF 2023
PhD students and postdoctoral fellows are welcome to submit applications if they fulfil all of the following criteria. Applicants should:
- be up to 35 years of age, except if studies were started later, or were delayed by maternity leave (18 months per child), prolonged illness or other personal reasons
- be registered as a PhD student at an institute of higher learning in a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society OR be a postdoctoral scientist within five years of having completed a PhD thesis, working in a country where there is a FEBS Constituent Society
- submit a single abstract to the 22nd FEBS YSF and 47th FEBS Congress as first author. Both events should be attended.
- be a member of a FEBS Constituent Society
- not have received a grant from FEBS to attend a previous YSF, nor a FEBS YTF award for a 2023 FEBS Advanced Course
How to apply
YSF applications must be made through the Congress website’s registration and abstract submission system by December 8, 2022.
- Select the YSF Applicant option, and complete a registration order valued at 0 Euros by entering your details on the registration form and selecting the YSF waiver option
- Submit an abstract as first author to one of the Congress abstract topics (in the 'Posters - Research' track)
- Upload the following supporting documents in a single pdf file during registration:
- Proof of Status: PhD student, or post-doctoral scientist within 5 years of receiving a PhD
- Proof of current FEBS Constituent Society membership (scanned copy of current membership certificate/letter, dated within the past year from your FEBS Constituent Society)
- Curriculum Vitae, prepared using the FEBS Congress 2023 CV template
- Letter of Motivation, describing reasons why you would benefit from attending the FEBS YSF and the FEBS Congress, in not more than 300 words
- Letter of Recommendation from your supervisor, not exceeding 300 words, and including your supervisor's signature and contact data (address, phone number, e-mail)
- Proof of Age: a scanned copy of ID showing date of birth (national ID card or passport). Over 35s with special circumstances should upload additional supporting documents.
All abstracts must contain original work that has not been published or presented identically on previous occasions. Abstract submission must follow the requirements and guidelines on the Call for Abstracts page for the 47th FEBS Congress, noting the earlier deadline for YSF abstracts. Abstracts submitted by YSF Applicants and accepted for the YSF cannot be edited after the YSF application deadline.
Until the announcement of YSF evaluation results, YSF applicants' registration/participant status will be held as pending. Unsuccessful YSF applicants will be able to switch participant types in the Congress registration system after outcome notifications, and also consider applying for a Congress bursary ahead of the March 9, 2023 bursary application deadline.
For applicants from outside the FEBS area
For the FEBS YSF 2023, IUBMB will be supporting the participation of two young researchers from non-FEBS countries. Please visit the IUBMB website for more details, including the level of support.
To be eligible for this IUBMB support for the YSF 2023, applicants must:
- be studying or working in an IUBMB member country that does not have a FEBS Constituent Society
- be a member of the relevant national Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology that is an Adhering Body or Associate Adhering Body of IUBMB, or have the sponsorship of a member of such a Society
All other relevant YSF eligibility criteria as set out for applicants from the FEBS area above apply - i.e. applicants for IUBMB support must be under 35 years of age (with some allowances), be a PhD student or a postdoc within five years of receiving a PhD, and be submitting abstract as first author to the YSF and Congress.
To apply as a YSF applicant from outside the FEBS area, please follow all the instructions in 'How to apply' above, but instead of proof of FEBS Constituent Society membership in your single pdf file, please include a scanned copy of current membership certificate/letter from your IUBMB Society (Adhering Body or Associate Adhering Body of IUBMB) or, in the case of sponsorship, a signed letter of support from a member of the country’s Society.
Application and abstract assessments
Applications to the FEBS YSF 2023 will be assessed by the YSF Organizing Committee. All successful applicants will present their work at the YSF as posters. In addition, all abstracts of successful applicants will be considered for possible oral presentations of 10–15 min during the YSF program. Outcomes on presentation options are expected to be notified shortly after the time of announcement of selected YSF participants.
Abstracts from successful YSF applicants are also included in the ensuing FEBS Congress. If you are interested in oral presentation opportunities at the Congress, please answer 'yes' to a question on this in the abstract submission system. Assessment for this will be carried out by the Congress organization and is independent of oral selection for the YSF.